Students, Stop Giving Excuses!

By Atanda Anuoluwapo

200 level Mass Communication

One thing I have tried to stop doing is giving excuses. I have realized over time I give excuses for any little thing. When I justify myself, it makes me feel good.

However, it got to a point where I had to stop. My attitude was telling people I wasn't a serious person. Steadily, I started changing. No matter how busy I am, I try as much as possible to meet up with a given task.

But this day, it has been quite tough. Due to my busy schedule in school. I've been giving my coach excuses on why I haven't written an article for the week. Nonetheless, they were a bit valid but not acceptable.

Photo Credit: Google
Therefore, I had to sit down and call myself to order. Knowing fully well that if I keep up giving all these excuses, I will end up achieving nothing.

With all sincerity, most of us found. ourselves in this battle of excuses. We keep apologizing over and over again for flimsy excuses we make up just to favor ourselves. Whereas the real problem is that we cannot manage our time well. Though you may keep deceiving yourself that you are busy.

For example, from a book I'm currently reading, " Eat That Frog" by Brian Tracy. He gave a detailed explanation of how you could manage your time by eating the ugliest frog.


Its entails planning out your schedule for each day and arranging them from the most difficult to the simplest. Then, make sure you complete those tasks unfailingly to beat excuses. 

Once you have a proper hold on managing your time. You won't waste your time going to the beach on Saturday or just visiting a friend when you know you have a more important task to accomplish. Even though these activities are good.

Do you know what excuses depict in your character? It shows you're someone who can't be trusted with important things. When your name pops in someone's mind to give you something to do, they wouldn't because they know you would come up with one excuse or the other. 

It's quite unfortunate that many people have lost opportunities that will change their lives completely due to giving excuses.

Here is a sincere call to rise above excuses. It's time to work on yourself and be deliberate about growth. Remember, you will always want to justify yourself for not doing what is expected, but you have to break the yoke by taking action.

Why don't you do a self-introspection of yourself today and eat that frog of excuses?


Edited by:

Atanda Anuoluwapo

Associate Editor

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘We’re not celebrating Valentine’ “...Seun, please be my val!”, Accounting student cries out