Exclusive: Confession of McU Law student

By our Correspondent, Beloved.



Photo Credit: Google/Channels TV

We are all studying Law at McPherson University's College of Law for various reasons, and I enjoyed and respected all the reasons tabled by few of my colleagues. Some of us are studying law to continue the legacies of our parents and grandparents who are successful law attorneys in Ibadan, Oyo State; some are studying law to ultimately wear a ‘silk wig’ or become a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) 10 years after graduation; some for the prestige and respect that the profession commands; some for the purpose of fighting for common man like Barrister Ebun Adegoruwa and Late Chief Gani Fawehinmi. 

I just want to study Law to sue Segun who broke my heart on my 19th birthday! Do I have rights under the Law to sue a young man who promised me love and bright future? Segun was my first love. When he approached me last summer, it was a dream come through. I had a crush on him right from our days at the teens Church. He was brilliant and smart. Will you not describe a 19-year-old boy who scored 266 in the UTME Examination as smart? 

He secured admission into Law at Caleb University, Nigeria and I learnt he was doing well. His mum and dad were so ‘cool’. So, his ‘proposal’ was accepted even before he proposed. I liked him and his proposal was well received. Segun started changing the moment he moved to school. We spent less and less time on phone. The duration of our chats was also getting thinner and thinner. At a point, it took him 3 days to reply a chat. My heart was aching… my head was spinning. “What's going on in Caleb University? Is Segun seeing another young lady over there?” 

 During the holidays, he would hold onto three books: The Introduction to Nigeria Legal Systems by Prof. Akintunde Obilade; Sources of Nigerian Laws by Niki Tobi and Legal Methods by Prof. John Asein. H e would punctuate all conversations with “that's not legal” I would cry inward and ask myself: “Why is Segun thinking like this? By October last year, he sent me text: “I'm quitting this relationship, it's over!” Understandably, I was mad. 

 “ Me, Breakfast? ” He subsequently stopped picking my calls. “So, Segun played with my emotions. He toyed with my affection; He wasted my attention. He must pay me back”, I told myself. Well, I have to pay him back. Early November, I secured admission into the Law degree programme at McPherson University and among other reasons, I will work hard to spike Segun. I will aim for First Class in Law. I will proceed to Law School and aim for the top spot as well. Afterwards, I will dig up laws and judicial review pronouncements to create legal grounds to sue him. I will sue Segun for breaking my fragile heart. Funny or not, that's one of the reasons I am studying law. 


Edited by: Faith Olise 

Associate Editor


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘We’re not celebrating Valentine’ “...Seun, please be my val!”, Accounting student cries out